RLR Records releases contain sessions culled from rare and unissued non-professional recordings and so technical quality may not quite be up to today's recording standards. However, because of their historical value and the importance of the musicians involved, every effort has been made to improve the sound quality using modern technology.
This release contains a batch of rare rehearsals preserved by Brownie himself with his own amateur tape recorder. They feature such stars as Tadd Dameron, Benny Golson and Gigi Gryce, as well as the classic quintet with Sonny Rollins and Max Roach. Clifford plays amazing solos on all of these tunes, many of which, like Somebody Loves Me, Bula-Beige Blues and Sometimes I'm Happy, he would never record again.
- CLIFFORD BROWN, trumpet on all tracks, plus:
- ON TRACKS [1-5] CLIFFORD BROWN - TADD DAMERON, SEPTET:
- Benny Golson (ts), Gigi Gryce (as), Herb Mullins (tb),
- Tadd Dameron (p), Percy Heath (b), Philly Joe Jones (d).
- Rehearsal, New York, June 1953.
- ON TRACKS [6-8] CLIFFORD BROWN TRIO / DUO:
- Tadd Dameron (p), Percy Heath (b on 6-7 only).
- Same session as above.
- ON TRACKS [9-12] CLIFFORD BROWN GROUP:
- poss. Teddy Edwards (ts), poss. Carl Perkins (p), Max Roach (d on 9-10 only).
- No audible bass. Los Angeles, 1954.
- ON TRACKS [13-14]
- Sonny Rollins (ts), Richie Powell (p), George Morrow (b), Max Roach (d).
- Rehearsal, New York, 1956.
- ON TRACKS [15-16]
- poss. Sonny Rollins (ts), Richie Powell (p), George Morrow (b),
- Max Roach (d). Broadcast from unknown location, 1956
- 01. Somebody Loves Me
- 02. Indiana
- 03. I'll Remember April (*)
- 04. A Night In Tunisia
- 05. Bula-Beige Blues (*)
- 06. Sometimes I'm Happy (Version 1) (*)
- 07. Sometimes I'm Happy (Version 2) (*)
- 08. Blues In F
- 09. Pennies From Heaven (*)
- 10. Second Balcony Jump (*)
- 11. Lullaby In Rhythm (*)
- 12. Dewey Square (Fragment) Into Brownie Warming Up
- 13. Perdido/Wahoo (Version 1) (*)
- 14. Perdido/Wahoo (Version 2) (*)
- 15. Body And Soul (*)
- 16. Perdido/Wahoo (*)
- (*) No other versions of these tunes by Brown exist.