America`s National Parks
Wadada Leo Smith
Warning: Last items in stock!
America’s National Parks, a double-CD tribute to America’s scenic landscapes, from trumpet visionary Wadada Leo Smith , who received a prestigious 2016 Doris Duke Artist Award, continues in the conceptual and political vein of the acclaimed Ten Freedom Summers, reaffirming Smith’s dedication to commemorating significant moments and ideas in American history.
Though there is a consistent edge of uncertainty to the music, there are many moments of thoughtful serenity and quiet beauty much of which is conveyed by the beautiful playing of Walters. Smith’s twenty-eight page score is yet another stunning success in his long line of achievements. It is quixotic in a sensory manner and pointed as a sociological study. The album features Smith’s Golden Quintet, which includes pianist Anthony Davis, bassist John Lindberg, drummer Pheeroan akLaff and cellist Ashley Walters.
WADADA LEO SMITH, trumpet
ANTHONY DAVIS, piano
ASHLEY WALTERS, cello
JOHN LINDBERG, bass
PHEEEROAN AKLAFF, drums
01. New Orleans: The National Culture Park USA 1718
02. Eileen Jackson Southern, 1920-2002: A Literary National Park
03. Yellowstone: The First National Park and the Spirit of America - The Mountains, Super-volcano Caldera and Its Ecosystem 1872
01. The Mississippi River: Dark and Deep Dreams Flow the River - A National Memorial Park C. 5000 BC
02. Sequoia/King's Canyon National Parks: The Giant Forest, Great Canyon, Cliff, Peaks, Waterfalls and Cave System 1890
03. Yosemite: The Glaciers, the Falls, the Wells and the Valley of Goodwill 1890