Essential Jazz Classics
Warning: Last items in stock!
INCLUDES 6 BONUS TRACKS
This release presents Garner's complete 1957 LP Other Voices, for the first time ever on CD. The album marks Garner's debut recording with orchestral accompaniment. Since he couldn't read music, arrangements were made in association with the famous pianist-arranger Nat Pierce (celebrated for his work with Woody Herman). The program presents five well-known standards, as well as five originals by Erroll, including an unforgettable version of his classic tune Misty. The band includes such important musicians as Herbie Mann, Urbie Green, Hal McKusick, Ray Copeland and Paul Quinichette. As a bonus, a trio and solo versions of the same tunes, which can be compared to Garner's approach on the orchestra tracks.
ERROLL GARNER, piano
Arrangements by ERROLL GARNER in association with NAT PIERCE
Orchestra under the direction of MITCH MILLER
Bernie Glow, Ray Copeland, Burt Colins, Alvin Goldberg, Doug Metome, Phil Sunkel (tp) Urbie Gren, Burt Colins, Frank Rehak, Bil Elton , George Monte, Eddie Bert , Jim Dahl (tb) Gene Allen, Sam Marowitz, Hal McKusick, Herbie Man, Anthony Ortega Dick Meldonian, John Hafer, Charlie O'Kane (sax) Julius Held, Arnold Eidus, Julius Schachter, Daniel Guilet, Max Holander, Seymour Mirof, Sylvan Shulman, Harvey Shapiro, Gene Orlof, Hary Glickman (vln) Isadore Zir, Harold Coleta Coleta (vla) Maurice Brown, Milton Lomask (cello) Al Hall, Milt Hinton (b), Specs Powel, Osie Johnson (d) among others.
New York, September 2, 1956, and May 27 & 31, 1957.
[11-16] BONUS TRACKS:
(11) ERROLL GARNER (p), WYATT RUTHER (b), FATS FORD (d).
Chicago, July 27, 1954
(12) ERROLL GARNER (Solo piano)
Detroit, Michigan, July 7, 1954.
(13) ERROLL GARNER (p) AL HALL (b), SPECS POWELL (d).
New York, June 7, 1956.
(14) ERROLL GANRE (Solo piano).
New York, March 14, 1955
(15) ERROLL GANER (p), EDDIE CALHOUN (b), KELLY MARTIN (d).
Live at Peacock Lane, Hollywood March, 1957.
(16) ERROLL GANER (p), EDDIE CALHOUN (b), DENZIL BEST (d).
Live at Basin Street, New York, May 5, 1956
INCLUDES 12.PAGE BOOKET
02. The Very Thought Of You
03. It Might As Well Be Spring
05. I Didn't Know What Time It Was
06. Moment's Delight
07. On The Street Where You Live
08. Other Voices
09. This Is Always
11. Misty (Trio Version, 1954)
12. It Might As Well Be Spring (Solo Version, 1954)
13. Dreamy (Trio Version, 1956)
14. Solitaire (Solo Version, 1955)
15. Dreamy (Trio Version, Live, 1957)
16. misty (Trio version, Live, 1956)
TOTAL TIME: 62:45