SIX-PANEL DIGIPACK COLLECOR`S SERIE
LIMITE EDITION - 500 COPIES
INCLUDES 1 BONUS TRACK
Legendary bluesman Mississippi Fred McDowell was one of the most important rural guitarists and songwriters to come out of the 1960s blues revival. He was discovered in 1959 (at age 55), when he was first taped by music historian and folk researcher, Alan Lomax (with assistance from a young Shirley Collins). This newly remastered CD includes those mythical recordings that would launch McDowell’s career as a professional musician, and announce him to a new legion of fans. In addition, this collector’s release contains a bonus track – a live recording of McDowell’s classic number, “You Gotta Move” (later famously covered by The Rolling Stones).
- MISSISSIPPI” FRED McDOWELL, vocals and guitar, plus:
- Occasionally featuring Miles Pratcher (second guitar), Fanny Davis (tissue paper and comb), Annie Mae McDowell, Rosalie Hill, or Sidney Hemphill Carter (vocals), among others.
Recorded in Como, Mississippi, September 21-25, 1959.
- 01 GOOD MORNING LITTLE SCHOOLGIRL
- 02 SHAKE ‘EM ON DOWN
- 03 DROP DOWN MAMA
- 04 WORRIED MIND BLUES
- 05 FRED MCDOWELL’S BLUES
- 06 WHEN THE TRAIN COMES ALONG
- 07 KEEP YOUR LAMPS TRIMMED AND BURNING
- 08 WISHED I WAS IN HEAVEN SITTING DOWN
- 09 YOU DONE TOL’ EVERYBODY
- 10 WOKE UP THIS MORNING WITH MY MIND ON JESUS
- 11 GOIN’ DOWN TO THE RIVER
- 12 WHEN YOU GET HOME, PLEASE WRITE ME A FEW OF YOUR LINES
- 13 YOU GONNA BE SORRY
- 14 LORD HAVE MERCY
- 15 61 HIGHWAY BLUES
- 16 SOON ONE MORNIN’
- 17 GERMANY BLUES
- 18 KEEP YOUR LAMPS TRIMMED AND BURNING [alt. version]
- 19 BEEN DRINKIN’ WATER OUT OF A HOLLOW LOG
- 20 I WANT JESUS TO WALK WITH ME
- 21 FREIGHT TRAIN BLUES
- 22 SHAKE ‘EM ON DOWN [alt. version]
- 23 KEEP YOUR LAMPS TRIMMED AND BURNING [instrumental]
- 24 YOU GOTTA MOVE [Live] (*)
- TOTAL TIME: 78:50 Min.
- (*) BONUS TRACK