• DIGIPACK EDITION
Over the years, there have been many recorded tributes to John Coltrane but saxophonist Lakecia Benjamin takes the concept farther by paying homage to the work of both John and his wife, Alice Coltrane. Benjamin plays their compositions in a wide range of settings with a large cast of musicians, including a couple who actually worked with one or both of the Coltranes.
There are a lot of musicians and a lot of different musical approaches on this album but the powerful alto voice of Lakecia Benjamin holds it all together. She plays with appropriate majesty whether moaning over soulful beats or roaring in high energy duels with other alto players, like Gary Bartz on "Liberia" and both Greg Osby and Bruce Williams on "Affinity." This is an amazing and ambitious tribute to the long-lasting influence of John and Alice Coltrane.
- Lakecia Benjamin: saxophone, alto.
- Gary Bartz: alto sax (#1); Lonnie Plaxico: bass (#1-5, 9); Reggie Workman: bass (#2,4,9,13); Chris Rob: piano, Rhodes, organ (#1, 3, 8); Darrell Green: drums (#1,5,6,8-13); Gamiel Lyons: flute (#2); Sharp Radway: drums (#1, 3- 5, 7, 9,10, 13); Surya Botofasnia: piano (#2, 12); Juliette Jones: viola (#2,5); Jarvis Benson: viola (#2,5); Malcolm Parson: cello (#2,5); Brandee Younger: harp (#2,5); Jazzmiea Horn: vocals (#3); Joe Blaxx: drums, backing vocals (#3,4,8); Regina Carter: violin (#4); Marcus Strickland: bass clarinet (#5); Rootstock Republic: strings (#5); Kenyon Harrold: trumpet (#6); David Bryant: Rhodes (#6); Ron Carter; bass (#6); Steve Wilson: alto sax (#7); John Benitez: bass (#7); Marcus Gilmour: drums (#7); Georgia Anne Muldrow: vocals (#8); Meshell Ndegeocello: bass (#8); Ricardo Ramos: guitar (#8); Dudley Perkins: background vocals (#8); Zakiyyah Modeste: background vocals (#8); Bertha Hope: piano (#8); Dee Dee Bridgewater: vocals (#10); Abiodun Oyewole: spoken word (#10); Jonathan Michel: bass (#10,11); Bendji Allonce: percussion (#10, 12); Marc Cary: piano (#11); Greg Osby: alto sax (#13); Bruce Williams: alto sax (#13).
- 01. Liberia (feat. Gary Bartz)
- 02. Prema
- 03. Central Park West (feat. Jazzmeia Horn)
- 04. Walk With Me (feat. Regina Carter)
- 05. Going Home (feat. Brandee Younger and Marcus Strickland)
- 06. Syeeda's Song Flute (feat. Ron Carter and Keyon Harrold)
- 07. Spiral (feat. Steve Wilson and Marcus Gilmore)
- 08. Om Shanti (feat. Georgia Anne Muldrow and Meshell Ndegeocello)
- 09. Alabama
- 10. Acknowledgement (feat. Dee Dee Bridgewater)
- 11. Pursuance (feat. Marc Cary)
- 12. Turiya and Ramakrishna
- 13. Affinity (feat. Greg Osby and Reggie Workman)