Composer, clarinetist, singer and educator Angel Bat Dawid announces the release of a new work, Requiem For Jazz. A 12-movement suite composed, arranged, and inspired in part by dialogue from Edward O. Bland’s 1959 film The Cry of Jazz, the album is a wide-ranging treatise on the African American story from one of its most astute narrators.
Itself an incisive critique of racial politics in the USA, The Cry of Jazz draws formal comparisons between the structure of jazz music and the African American experience - as one of freedom and restraint, of joy and suffering - that manifests in the triumph of spirit over the crushing prejudice of daily life.
Cutting together archive reels from Black neighborhoods in Chicago with live performance footage from Sun Ra and his Arkestra among others, the film remains a radical and prescient evocation of Black pride and its roots in the history of jazz, from spirituals to blues and beyond.
- Dr. Charles Joseph Smith - (piano)
- Jeremiah Hunt - (contrabass)
- Vincent Davis - (percussion)
- Norman W. Long - (electronic)
- Dr. Adam Zanolini - (flute)
- Hannah Washington - (clarinet)
- Sam Thousand - (trumpet)
- Isaiah Collier - (soprano sax)
- Fred Jackson Jr. - (alto sax)
- Kwesaiah - (tenor sax)
- J’Niya Blunt - (violin)
- DaJour Smith - (violin)
- Michelle Manson - (viola)
- Olula - (cello)
- 01. Jazz Is Merely The Negroes Cry Of Joy & Suffering
- 02. Introit - Joy N’ Suff’rin
- 03. Jazz Is The Musical Expression Of The Triumph Of The Negroes Spirit
- 04. Kyrie Eleison - Lawd Hav’ Merci
- 05. This Endless Repetition Is Like A Chain Around The Spirit. And Is A Reflection Of The Denial Of A Future To The Negro In The American Way Of Life
- 06. Dias Ire - Chain Around The Spirit
- 07. Another Restraining Factor In Jazz Are The Changes
- 08. Tuba Mirum - The Changes
- 09. The Negro Experiences The Endless Daily Humiliation Of American Life Which Bequeaths Him A Futureless Future
- 10. Rex Tremendae – Futureless Future
- 11. The Negro Transforms America’s Image Of Him Into A Transport Of Joy!
- 12. Recordare - Recall The Joy
- 13. Jazz Reflects The Improvised Life Thrust Upon The Negro
- 14. Confutatis - Repression
- 15. Through Spirituals, Through The Blues, Then Through Jazz We Made A Memory Of Our Past And A Promise Of All To Come
- 16. Lacrimosa - Weeping Our Lady Of Sorrow
- 17. Because Jazz Is The One Element In American Life Where Whites Must Be Humble To The Negro
- 18. Offerturium - Hostias - Humility
- 19. Only When Whites Have Paid The Price In Suffering To Be The Negroes Equal
- 20. Sanctus - Holy, Holy, Holy
- 21. The Jazz Body Is Dead But The Spirit Of Jazz Is Alive
- 22. Agnus Dei - Jazz Is Dead!
- 23. Lux Aeterna - Eternal Light/My Rhapsody
- 24. Long Tone For Rayna Golding (A Binti Zawadi Daughter Gift.... Our Future)