Aki Takase examines Ellington's playing from numerous angles throughout the album and within each track. Rather than quote or paraphrase Ellington compositions to contextualize this idea, Takase concentrates on the building blocks of his piano vocabulary – the articulations, voicings and devices that convey colors and fragrances. As a result, she sets a wealth of stylistic markers afloat, untethered to an Ellington composition, where they can be heard anew. Bill Shoemaker writes in the liner notes: "What cannot be overstated is Takase's depth of feeling here and throughout My Ellington; it is something rare and profound."
AKI TAKASE, solo piano
Recorded April 16, 17, 2012
01. The Mooch
02. A Little Max (Parfait)
04. In a Mellow Tone - Do Nothing Till You Hear from Me
06. Lotus Pond. Dedicated to D. E.
07. Love You Madly - I Let a Song Go Out of My Heart
08. I Got It Bad and That Ain’'t Good
09. Take the Coltrane
10. It Don't Mean a Thing (If It Ain't Got That Swing)
11. Fleurette Africaine
12. Battle Royal
13. Ad Lib On Nippon