HIGH-DEFINITION PREMIUM VINYL PRESSING FOR SUPER FIDELITY
180 GRAM VINYL-AUDIOPHILE PRESSING."
INCLUDES 2 BONUS TRACKS
This WaxTime 500 release includes Joe Turner’s sensational LP, Rockin’ the Blues, originally issued by the Atlantic label in 1958, and long unavailable on vinyl. The album contains a selection of tracks previously issued by Atlantic as 45rpm singles. Highlights include outstanding staples, such as “Teen Age Letter,” “(We’re Gonna) Jump for Joy,” “Love Roller Coaster,” “Blues in the Night,” “TV Mama,” and the seminal “After a While.”
In addition to the original masterpiece, this collector’s LP contains 2 bonus tracks from the same period: Turner’s last big hit with an old blues standard, “Corrine, Corrina” (featuring the backing group The Cookies, who’d soon join Ray Charles and become The Raelettes), and the rockin’ classic “Flip, Flop & Fly” (which has been performed by a variety of artists, including early rock and roll idols such as Elvis Presley and Jerry Lee Lewis).
JOE TURNER, lead vocals, plus:
- SIDE A  / SIDE B, :
- The Howard Biggs Orchestra, feat. George Barnes, Billy Mure (g),
- Lloyd Trotman (b), Howard Biggs (p), David “Panama” Francis (d),
- King Curtis (tS), Hilton Jefferson (aS), Mike Chimes (hca).
- Recorded in New York City, January 22, 1958
- SIDE A :
- The Jesse Stone Orchestra, feat. Allen Hanlon, Mundell Lowe (guitar),
- Lloyd Trotman (b), Mike Stoller (p), David “Panama” Francis (d),
- Sam “The Man” Taylor (tenor sax), Jerome Richardson (as).
- Recorded at Capitol Recording Studios, New York City, October 2, 1957.
- SIDE A  &  / SIDE B  & :
- The Choker Campbell Orchestra, feat. David “Chick” Booth (d),
- Choker Campbell (ts), Melvin Juanzo (tb), Phil Guilbeau (tp).
- Recorded in New York City, May 13, 1957.
- SIDE A  & :
- Joe Turner’s All Stars, feat. George Barnes, Billy Mure (g),
- Lloyd Trotman (b), Ernie Hayes (p), David “Panama” Francis (d),
- Sam “The Man” Taylor (ts), Earle Warren (as),
- Jimmy Nottingham, Dick Vance (tp),
- The Cookies: Darlene McCrea, Dorothy Jones, Margie Hendricks (backing vocals).
- Recorded at Capitol Recording Studios, New York City, February 24, 1956.
- SIDE A ,  / SIDE B :
- The Blues Kings, feat. Jesse Stone (p), Big Al Sears (tS).
- Recorded at Atlantic Studios, New York City, February 28, 1955.
- SIDE A : Mickey Baker (g), Lloyd Trotman (b),
- Sam “The Man” Taylor (ts).
- Recorded at Atlantic Studios, New York City, November 30, 1956.
- SIDE B : Jimmy Tolliver (p), Vernon Bates (ts),
- Pluma Davis (tb), Joe Bridgewater (tp).
- Rhythm section and backing vocals are unknown.
- Recorded in Houston, Texas, December 1950.
- SIDE B :
- The Blues Kings, feat. Elmore James (g), Jimmy Richardson (b),
- Johnny Jones (p), Theodore “Red” Saunders (d),
- Grady Jackson (ts), McKinley Easton (bs),
- John Avant or Harlan Floyd (tb), Sonny Cohn (tp).
- Recorded at Universal Recording Corporation, Chicago, Illinois, October 7, 1953.
- SIDE B :.
- The Blues Kings, feat. Mickey Baker (g), Lloyd Trotman (b),.
- Harry Van Walls (p), Connie Kay (d), Sam “The Man” Taylor (ts),.
- Frank “Heywood” Henry (bs), Wilbur De Paris (tb), .
- Ahmet Ertegun, Jerry Wexler, Jesse Stone (backing vocals). .
- Recorded at Atlantic Studios, New York City, February 15, 1954.
- SIDE B : Orchestra arranged and conducted by Van “piano man” Walls.
- Recorded in New York City, 1952.
- 01 WE’RE GONNA JUMP FOR JOY
- 02 TEEN AGE LETTER
- 03 LOVE ROLLER COASTER
- 04 LIPSTICK, POWDER AND PAINT
- 05 MORNING, NOON AND NIGHT
- 06 I NEED A GIRL
- 07 RED SAILS IN THE SUNSET
- 08 CORRINE, CORRINA *
- 01 BLUES IN THE NIGHT
- 02 AFTER A WHILE
- 03 WORLD OF TROUBLE
- 04 TROUBLE IN MIND
- 05 TV MAMA
- 06 YOU KNOW I LOVE YOU
- 07 STILL IN LOVE
- 08 FLIP, FLOP & FLY *