• 16 PAGE BOOKLET
• INCLUDES 5 BONUS TRACKS
This release presents George Russell's complete original album Jazz in the Space Age (Decca DL-9219). One of the composer's seminal albums, it extensively features pianist Bill Evans, along with other well known musicians such as Paul Bley, Bob Brookmeyer, Frank Rehak, and Barry Galbraith. As a bonus, we have added a true rarity: a complete live performance by the George Russell Sextet taped a few months after the culmination of Jazz in the Space Age. As this concert was recorded on amateur equipment the sound quality is inferior to that of our main album. However, we believe collectors will appreciate its inclusion given its historical and musical value, and the scarcity of Russell's recordings during that period.
- ON TRACKS 1, 3-4 & 6:
- Ernie Royal, Alan Kiger (tp), Frank Rehak, David Baker (tb), Jimmy Buffington (fhr), Walt Levinsky (as), David Young (ts), Sal Schlinger (bar), Bill Evans & Paul Bley (p), Barry Galbraith & Howard Collins (g), Milt Hinton (b), Don Lamond (d), George Russell (arr, dir, beads on tuned drums).
- New York, December 29, 1959.
- ON TRACKS 2 & 5:
- Ernie Royal, Alan Kiger, Marky Markowitz (tp), Bob Brookmeyer (v-tb), Frank Rehak, David Baker (tb), Hal McKusick (as), David Young (ts), Sol Schlinger (bar), Bill Evans (p), Barry Galbraith (g), Milt Hinton (b), Charlie Persip (d), George Russell (arr, dir, beads on tuned drums).
- New York, January 27, 1960.
- BONUS TRACKS 7-11:
- George Russell (p, arr), Alan Kiger (tp), David Baker (tb), David Young (ts), Chuck Israels (b), Joe Hunt (d). David Lahm (p) replaces Russell on 10.
- Berkshire Music Barn, Lennox, Massachusetts, September 1, 1960.
- 01 CHROMATIC UNIVERSE —PART I
- 02 DIMENSIONS
- 03 CHROMATIC UNIVERSE —PART II
- 04 THE LYDIOT
- 05 WALTZ FROM OUTER SPACE
- 06 CHROMATIC UNIVERSE —PART III
- 07 Introduction (*)
- 08 THINGS NEW (*)
- 9 DANCE CLASS (*)
- 10 POTTING SHED (*)
- 11 STRATUSPHUNK (*)