LIMITED SPECIAL 3-PANEL DIGIPACK
INCLUDES 9 BONUS TRACKS
4 STARS ALLMUSIC GUIDE
The complete classic album Coleman Hawkins Encounters Ben Webster (Verve Records MGV-8327), as well as the other six tunes from the session, originally issued on other Hawkins’ albums and long out of print anthologies. As a bonus, four songs from sessions recorded on both the previous and the same day by each saxophonist alone with the same rhythm section have been added. The sessions end with each player presenting his own reading of “Ill Wind”.
- BEN WEBSTER, tenor sax
- COLEMAN HAWKINS, tenor sax
- OSCAR PETERSON, piano
- HERB ELLIS, guitar
- RAY BROWN, bass
- ALVIN STOLLER, drums
Los Angeles, October 16, 1957.
- ON TRACKS [14 & 16]: Same personnel, place and date but omit Ben Webster.
- ON TRACKS [15 & 17]: Same personnel but omit Coleman Hawkins and Stan Levey (d) replaces Stoller.
- Los Angeles, October 15, 1957.
- 01 Blues for Yolande
- 02 It Never Entered My Mind
- 03 La Rosita
- 04 You’d Be So Nice to Come Home To
- 05 Prisoner of Love
- 06 Tangerine
- 07 Shine On, Harvest Moon
- 08 Maria
- 09 Cocktails for Two
- 10 Blues for Yolande (alt version 1)*
- 11 Blues for Yolande (alt version 2)*
- 12 La Rosita (short alt version)*
- 13 Shine On, Harvest Moon (short alt version)*
- 14 My Melancholy Baby**
- 15 Where Are You**
- 16 Ill Wind [Coleman Hawkins]**
- 17 Ill Wind [Ben Webster]**
- 18 Blues for Yolande (incomplete takes)*