• LIMITED EDITION 6-PANEL DIGIPACK EDITION
• INCLUDES 2 BONUS TRACKS
• 5 stars all music guide
This release compiles all of the legendary recordings made by pianist Ahmad Jamal (born in 1930, he is 90 at this writing) with his Trio (featuring Israel Crosby on bass, and Vernell Fournier on drums) in 1958 at the Pershing Lounge, in Chicago. This was the music that made Jamal famous. His liberal use of silence influenced many jazz musicians, including Miles Davis.
- Ahmad Jamal, piano
- Israel Crosby, bass
- Vernell Fournier, drums
Live at the Pershing Lounge, Chicago, January 16 & 17, 1958.
- (*) BONUS TRACKS:
- 20: Same personnel & date as 1-19. This is an edited version of the Pershing’s “Poinciana,” originally issued on a single 45 rpm disc.
- 21: Same personnel but Ray Crawford (g) replaces Fournier. New York, October 25, 1955.
- 01 But Not for Me
- 02 The Surrey with the Fringe on Top
- 03 Moonlight in Vermont
- 04 Music! Music! Music! (Put Another Nickel In)
- 05 There Is No Greater Love
- 06 Poinciana
- 07 Woody ‘n You
- 08 What’s New?
- 09 Too Late Now
- 10 All the Things You Are
- 11 Cherokee
- 12 It Might as Well Be Spring
- 13 I’ll Remember April
- 14 My Funny Valentine
- 15 Gone with the Wind
- 16 Billy Boy
- 17 It’s You or No One
- 18 They Can’t Take That Away From Me
- 19 Poor Butterfly
- 20 Poinciana [Single version] (*)
- 21 Poinciana [1955 Studio version] (*)