Dark Was the Night: 1927-1930 Recordings
Blind Willie Johnson
Warning: Last items in stock!
Johnson made a number of recordings before the Depression carried him into obscurity. This newly remastered CD release contains 24 Blind Willie Johnson songs, recorded by Columbia Records between 1927 and 1930, and released as 78-rpm singles. On some of these numbers he used a fast, rhythmic picking style, and on others he played a thunderous acoustic slide guitar. All these poignant tracks would form Johnson’s enduring legacy and secure him as one of the legends of that classic era. This is acoustic blues and gospel music of the highest order, full of emotion and heartfelt commitment.
BLIND WILLIE JOHNSON, lead vocals and slide guitar.
With Willie B. Harris (occasional vocals).
Recorded in Dallas, Atlanta, and New Orleans, December 3, 1927-April 20, 1930.
01. Dark Was the Night – Cold Was the Ground
02. The Soul of a Man
03. Lord, I Just Can’t Keep From Crying
04. Let Your Light Shine on Me
05. John the Revelator
06. If I Had My Way I’d Tear the Building Down
07. It’s Nobody’s Fault But Mine
08. Mother’s Children Have a Hard Time
09. Praise God I’m Satisfied
10. Keep Your Lamp Trimmed and Burning
11. The Rain Don’t Fall on Me
12. I’m Gonna Run to the City of Refuge
13. Trouble Will Soon Be Over
14. When the War Was On
15. Can’t Nobody Hide From God
16. Jesus Is Coming Soon
17. You’re Gonna Need Somebody on Your Bond
18. Take Your Stand
19. God Moves on the Water
20. I Know His Blood Can Make Me Whole
21. Church, I’m Fully Saved Today
22. Sweeter as the Years Roll By
23. Jesus Make Up My Dying Bed
24. Bye and Bye I’m Goin’ to See the King
TOTAL TIME: 75:45